Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 11, 2006

AND CAN IT BE

And can it be that I should gain
an interest in the Savior's blood!
Died he for me? who caused his pain!
For me? who him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be
that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

These words are very familiar to those of us who still love the old hymns of the faith. It is one of my personal favorites. Penned long ago by Charles Wesley, this hymn still provokes me to consider afresh the depth of the rich mercy of God. How Can It Be that the immortal God should take upon Himself the form of lowly man, and shed His precious blood for grievous sinners? Why should He who did no sin (2 Cor. 5:21) face the bar of Divine justice on Calvary’s cross so that I can stand before the highest court in heaven clothed in robes of righteousness (Rev. 19:8) ? In the futility of my own world of thought I have no answer for such questions. However, from the inspired Word of God I gleam the sacred truth that His heart of love is the stream out of which such mercy flows. “In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins” (I John 4:9,10). Little wonder Wesley could exclaim, “Amazing love! How Can It be! What makes this love so amazing is the unconditional nature of it. It was extended to us when we did not deserve it. It was a love bestowed upon a world of men, women, and children from every class and culture who had one thing in common – a rebellious heart. We are sinners by nature, and sinners by choice. Yes, that is our spiritual condition; so how profound, how glorious is the truth that “God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us” (Rom. 5:8). If you and I could meet the greatest philanthropists of the past and present, we would find no comparison to the love of God. No human being could love, has loved, or will ever love like God has loved us. Because He is a Supreme Being, His love is the ultimate love. Because He is infinite, His love cannot be measured by any human standard. Because He is holy, His love is without any impurity. Because He is immutable, His love for us will never falter. Because He is compassionate, His love is a tender and gracious love. Because He is Perfect, his love has a beauty to it that is incomprehensible. Because He is timeless, His love will never end. What more can I say! Such love is the greatest gift I possess, the greatest joy I know. And, my greatest desire is that others may come to know this wonderful love of God, manifest in the person of Jesus Christ, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16). May God be forever praised for the gift of His love.
No condemnation now I dread; Jesus, and all in him, is mine;
alive in him, my living Head, and clothed in righteousness divine,
bold I approach the eternal throne, and claim the crown, through Christ my own.
Rejoicing in the knowledge that my sins have been forgiven,

Pastor Tom

2 Cor. 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

1 comment:

GMV said...

Tom,

Ken Ham directed me to your site in his blog. I, too, love this hymn and over and over it has brought me to tears as I have contemplated the Amazing Love of God as expressed in Christ's perfect sacrifice. Thank you for reminding me of it.